Independent Book Shop: Juniper Books

If you follow me on instagram then you will know that this past Friday I went to check out a local independent bookstore. I love independent bookstores, their charm is something you cannot find on Amazon or in Chapters. I could spend hours in Chapters browsing the books but I could spend twice as long in an independent bookstore.






































I love seeing all of the books, some you could not find if you went to a chain bookshop. The new ones and very old ones scattered throughout the shop is my version of heaven. I prefer used books, I like knowing that someone had read and enjoyed (or disliked) this exact book before me and that it had somewhat of a life before I found it. Ok I know that may sound crazy but I hope someone will understand my meaning, maybe those who also love the smell of old books?





































This book store is called Juniper Books and it is located in Windsor, Ontario Canada. There are 12 rooms, each with it's own genre. The main room, when you first walk in has fictional literature and classics on the right and history on the left, with a little shelf by the door filled with biographies.

Up the stairs you will find the horror, romance, children's books, cook books and other genres which I have momentarily forgotten. Then there is another set of stairs that leads to the attic.





































On the first landing you can see a little cupboard in the wall that is apparently filled with erotica (locked away to preserve our eyes). In the attic we have many western novels featuring the greats like John Wayne.






































While checking out the four books I choose, the cashier asked if I was interested in politics (based on the books I had selected), and if I knew about the politics section in the basement. I did not, however now I have an excellent excuse to go back (not that I needed one).

It was a great experience and the man there was so nice and let me know where everything was. The prices are quite reasonable. As mentioned I purchased four books and my total came to around $30.00. If I were to go to a chain bookstore my total for two books would have been $30.00.




































I hope you get the chance to check out local bookstores in your area and support them. Even if you do not find anything you are interested it, I always find little book stores nice to walk around in.

In case you are interested here are the four books I purchased:

  1. A pocket sized copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  2. Reconciliation by Benazir Bhutto (a biography of sorts)
  3. International Relations of the Contemporary Middle East by Tareq Y. Ismael (it fits in well with my degree.)
  4. The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2000 Years by Bernard Lewis (I think I have read something by him before but I cannot think of what it is)
I hope you all have a great day! Tell me your favourite bookshops in the comments! What do you like most about bookshops?

Happy Reading!

Labels: